TOP

Kennedy could miss 2 weeks for West Coast

Josh Kennedy is still out with a shin injury and will miss the match against Port Adelaide.West Coast’s top two hopes have taken a massive hit after star forward Josh Kennedy revealed he is likely to miss another two rounds of AFL action.
南京夜网

Kennedy has missed the past two matches with a hairline fracture in his right shin, and will also miss Saturday’s clash with the Power in Adelaide.

The two-time Coleman medallist says it will be “a bit of a push” to play the Demons the following week, meaning he might not return until the final round clash with Brisbane.

If Kennedy’s recovery is slower than expected, it’s conceivable he won’t return until the start of the finals.

The news about Kennedy came on the same day that Andrew Gaff was suspended for eight weeks for his off-the-ball punch on Fremantle’s Andrew Brayshaw.

Star ruckman Nic Naitanui will also miss the rest of the season after tearing his ACL last month.

West Coast (14-5) sit in second spot, but they could tumble out of the top four if they lose to Port Adelaide (12-7) and Melbourne (12-7) over the next fortnight.

Gaff, Naitanui and Kennedy are three of West Coast’s most important players, and their absence will test the club’s depth and fighting spirit.

Defender Will Schofield will miss at least the next two weeks after injuring his left hamstring in last week’s win over the Dockers.

Kennedy, who missed three matches earlier this season because of a separate hairline fracture, sustained his latest injury at training two weeks ago when he was accidentally kneed by teammate Tom Cole.

“I won’t play this week and it’ll be a bit of a push for next week as well,” Kennedy told Perth radio station 6PR.

“It’s still been a little bit sore.

“We’re getting through training at the moment and hopefully I can fully train next week and get through what I need to do to be able to play Melbourne, because we’ve got a couple of really big games coming up.

“But if not, I’ll be definitely hoping to push for Brisbane, which is the last game of the year because I think I’ll need a game in definitely before we kick into finals.”

Read More
TOP

Fire makes forests likely to burn: study

A new study has found fires in the Australian Alps made the forests more likely to burn again.Controlled burns are a common measure used by firefighters in Australia to prepare for bushfires but new research has found fires make some forests more likely to burn.
南京夜网

The study by University of Wollongong researcher Philip Zylstra focused on the Australian Alps which stretch across Victoria, NSW and the ACT and found on average fires increased the risk of the forests burning again.

The study looked at 58 years of fires in 12 national parks measuring 36 million locations over 1.5 million hectares.

Dr Zylstra found fires in the Australian Alps National Parks had been smaller and less severe in long-unburnt forests.

“It contradicts the idea that fire will usually reduce the risk,” Dr Zylstra told AAP on Tuesday.

“The message from many ecosystems across the world is that while we’ve been assuming otherwise, fire has been breaking their defences and feeding more fire.”

With a longer and more severe fire season in Australia, Dr Zylstra says some forests are being wiped out permanently because of frequent fire.

While the study doesn’t suggest hazard reduction burns should stop, it does recommend protecting older forests as they are the least flammable.

Tall, wet ash forests are highly flammable until they reach maturity at 20 years while unburnt, mature ash forests are more than eight times less likely to burn than younger ash forests, Dr Zylstra said.

“Old forests need to be protected,” he said.

“We should nurse older regrowth into its mature stages. This will help the forests survive and make them more resistant to climate change.”

Read More
TOP

Historic bus saved from scrapyard after social media post

Historic bus saved from scrapyard after social media post The historic photo of a Tathra bus caught in the Jellat Jellat flood in 1960. Picture courtesy of the late Rex Holgate
南京夜网

SAVED: Jackie Collins with the bus which appears to be the same as one in a 1960 photograph of a Jellat Jellat flood. Picture: Alasdair McDonald

SAVED: Jackie Collins and Chris Brown with the bus which appears to be the same as one in a 1960 photograph of a Jellat Jellat flood. Picture: Alasdair McDonald

The bus on top of a Buckajo hill. Picture: Alasdair McDonald

Jackie Collins with the bus at Buckajo. Picture: Alasdair McDonald

Tathra Beach can be seen on the side of the bus.

A council logo on the side of the bus.

Bega can be seen clearly written on the bus.

A timeless hand signal.

TweetFacebookA bus immortalised in black and white following a 1960 floodhas been saved from being sliced in half and sold as scrap metal.

After a photograph of a bus almost completely submerged in floodwaters in 1960 was posted on social media in July, Nicole Harris of Majestic Motorhomes recognised its distinct curved roof straight away.

SAVED: Jackie Collins and Chris Brown with the bus which appears to be the same as one in a 1960 photograph of a Jellat Jellat flood. Picture: Alasdair McDonald

She had seen the now rusted bus sitting on a Buckajo property recently purchased by her former Eden high school friend Jackie Collins and her partner Chris Brown.

“Nicole recognised the bus straight away, which is lucky because it was within days of being cut up for scrap,” Ms Collins said.

While there was much interest in buying the bus, removing it in one piece is a difficult task.

The bus will be built into an artistic feature by Nicole and Lyle Harris at Majestic Motorhomes. Picture: Alasdair McDonald

Ms Collins and Mr Brown moved onto the former pig farm property late last year, and the bus looks as though it has spent time being used as a chicken pen.

“It was just sitting in the trees and we thought ‘well it’s got to go’,” Ms Collins said.

“We’d decided we’d drag it up to the top of the hill and maybe cut it up for scrap and sell it.”

SAVED: Jackie Collins with the bus which appears to be the same as one in a 1960 photograph of a Jellat Jellat flood. Picture: Alasdair McDonald

How the bus ended up on the property still remains a mystery.

“It’s amazing, it must’ve been behind the shed for donkey’s years, and it just pulled straight out,” Mr Brown said.

Remarkably, itsworn exterior still has the Jack Plumb markings of its daily run between Bega and Tathra, original wooden floor, air filled rubber tyres and windows completely intact.

According to one reader, the bus was caught in floodwaters at Jellat Jellat while Mr Plumb was trying to get his daughters to work, before the trio were later rescued from a willow tree with help from a boat used by electrical store owner, and avid fisherman, ​Bruce Devlin.

An offer was made by Ms Harris to take the bus and use it to create an artistic feature in order to keep it from being destroyed.

Ms Collins said she is glad the bus will now be a permanent fixture in the Bega Valley.

“Living here is paradise, this is the best place to live on earth,” she said.

Bega District News

Read More
TOP

Melbourne hit-run driver in Indian court

An Indian national convicted of a fatal hit-and-run in Melbourne kicked an Australian diplomatic car and failed to attend a medical assessment on a judge’s orders, a Delhi court has heard.
南京夜网

Judge Gurmohina Kaur is deciding whether Puneet Puneet should be extradited from India to Australia for sentencing on his conviction for running into and killing Queensland student Dean Hofstee, 19, on October 1, 2008.

Puneet, who was a 19-year-old learner driver at the time, also seriously injured 20-year-old Clancy Coker.

Puneet was on bail and awaiting sentence after pleading guilty to culpable driving when he used a friend’s passport to flee Australia in 2009.

Police arrested him four years later in India, on his wedding day.

On Tuesday the court was told that Puneet “kicked the car of Australian diplomats” after an earlier hearing, despite claiming to be physically and mentally infirm.

The Patiala District Court in Delhi heard that Puneet failed to attend a medical assessment on his mental state in relation to extradition, prompting Judge Kaur to admonish the defence, saying “we have wasted a month over this”.

“My orders are in black and white, they are not in requirement of interpretation. Why did he not show up?”

Prosecution lawyers asked why if Puneet was so unstable and physically weak was he seen kicking a car belonging to the Australian High Commission, with diplomatic plates, outside the court a month ago.

The defence denied the incident occurred.

Judge Kaur gave them until August 23 to submit the medical report to the court, and said the director of the Institute of Human Behavioural and Applied Sciences would have to explain to the court why Puneet was not assessed.

Bhaskar Vali, of the Union of India advocates, who handle extradition matters for the Indian state, accused the defence of “taking advantage of the court’s goodwill”.

Puneet was in court being propped up by relatives and spent the entire hearing looking at the floor with his right arm shaking.

The defence has previously argued that Puneet would face racism in Australia if extradited, was gravely ill, was mentally unfit to face trial, and that the case was of a “political character.”

The defence has also said Puneet suffered from kidney problems, schizophrenia, weight loss and at one point drank poison, due to his fragile state of mind.

Read More
TOP

Usain Bolt to trial with CCoast Mariners

Former Olympic champion sprinter Usain Bolt will trial with A-League club Central Coast Mariners.Usain Bolt will link up with the Central Coast Mariners for an “indefinite training period” to realise his dream of becoming a professional footballer.
南京夜网

The A-League club has confirmed Bolt, an eight-time Olympic athletics gold medallist, will arrive in Gosford later this month to trial with the club.

“I am very excited about coming to Australia and would like to thank the owner and management of the Central Coast Mariners for giving me this opportunity,” Bolt said in a statement.

The agreement does not guarantee Bolt a playing contract but allows him the chance to chase the opportunity of a start with the Mariners.

They become the fourth club that Bolt has tried out for in an effort to make it in the round ball game, following teams in Germany, Norway and South Africa.

But that hasn’t discouraged Bolt, who says he understands the task in front of him.

“I know that it will involve a lot of hard work and training to get to the level required to play and make an impact in the A-League,” Bolt said.

“When I spoke to the head coach Mike Mulvey on the phone he outlined the ambitions of the club and his plans for the upcoming season. I hope I can make a positive contribution to the club.

“I always say that ‘anything is possible, don’t think limits’ and I look forward to the challenge.”

Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp says the club needs to be realistic about the trial but is optimistic about the benefits it could bring.

“It is important that we don’t get too caught up in the hype of possibilities, but … we are committed to building a team that will win matches and instil belief, hopefully Usain can help us on this mission,” he said.

“We welcome Usain with open arms, and we will always remain grounded and focussed on the job at hand.”

Read More